- Manage your stress levels - Try talking things through, relaxation techniques and physical activity can help too. For more information, visit the NHS stress guide.
- Don't smoke - And try not to breathe in other people's tobacco smoke. If you are a smoker, consider quitting - there are local services to help you.
For more information, visit the NHS Smokefree website.
- Maintain a healthy diet - Try to eat at at least 5 portions of fruit and vegetables each day and cut down on fat, salt and added sugar. For more information, visit the NHS 5 a day website.
- Exercise - Be physically active for at least 30 minutes, 5 days a week. For more information, visit the NHS exercise guide.
- Maintain a healthy weight - Or aim for one if you're not quite there. For more information, visit the NHS weight loss guide.
- Limit your alcohol consumption - Have no more than 2-3 units a day (for women) or 3-4 units a day (for men).
For further information, visit the NHS alcohol guide.
- Protect yourself from the sun - Cover up, keep in the shade, never burn and use sunscreen with factor 15 or higher. Take extra care to protect children. For further information, visit the NHS Sunsafe guide.
- Practise safer sex - Use a condom. For further information, visit the NHS condom guide.
- Look after yourself - Make the decision to go for cervical screening (smears) and breast cancer screening when invited.
- THINK safely on the roads - For more information, visit the THINK road safety website.
Your Child's Health
If you have children, remember that you can prevent many very serious childhood diseases by making sure your child gets all the recommended immunisations. For further information, visit the NHS vaccinations guide.
INDEX - Self-Help-Centre
- Coronavirus Support
- Child Health
- Domestic Violence
- Ear Care
- Eye Self-care
- Health A-Z
- Healthy Lifestyle
- Joint Pain, Back Pain and Musculoskeletal Injuries
- Medicines A-Z
- Mental Health Support
- Over the Counter Medications
- Pain Management
- Physiotherapy Self-referral
- Sexual Health